The role of the Surgical Assistant is critical in providing exceptional patient care resulting in the best clinical outcomes and meeting the needs of our patients.
Role and Responsibilities
The Surgical Assistant will help surgeons during surgery by performing duties such as tissue retraction, intravenous lines, and completing documentation.
- Performs preoperative and postoperative duties to facilitate patient care.
- Verifies the identity of patients and operative sites.
- Discusses with surgeon the nature of the surgical procedure including operative consent and methods of operative exposure.
- Monitors and maintains aseptic technique throughout procedures.
- Maintains an unobstructed operative field using surgical retractors, sponges, and suctioning and irrigating equipment.
- Determines availability of necessary equipment and supplies for operative procedures.
- Obtains and inspects sterile and non-sterile surgical equipment, supplies and instruments.
- Operates sterilization devices.
- Monitors patient intraoperative status.
- Obtains dental radiographs and dental imaging.
- Completes patient clinical narratives.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- BLS certification required or the ability to complete within 1 month of hire.
- At Least one year of related experience preferred.
- DAANCE certification preferred.
- Licensed dental assistant preferred.
- Radiology certification preferred.
Skills and Abilities
- Basic computer knowledge.
- Ability to work well in a team and individually.
- Good Judgment and critical thinking skills.
- Passion for keeping people safe.
- Strong attention to detail, vigilance, and meticulous care on the job.
- Excellent manual dexterity.
- Superior listening skills with the ability to quickly comprehend instructions in emergency situations.
- Basic knowledge of medical terminology.
We also offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
Core Benefits & Wellness
- Medical (including Virtual Care), Dental, and Vision Coverage
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Uniforms/Scrubs provided
- Competitive pay, Bonus potential, and annual merit reviews
- 401(k) Plan w/Company Match
- Health Savings Account (HSA) with HDHP health plans
- Basic and Supplemental Life Insurance
- Spouse and Child Life Insurance
Time Off, Disability and Leave of Absence
- Paid Vacation (Starting at 2 weeks) and 6 Annual Paid Holidays
- Employer Sponsored Short Term Disability (Medical Leave – including maternity leave)
- Long Term Disability Plan